 Trains / 23891
Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 03:40:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   Happy Holidays to everyone!

For several months I’ve been working on a new train construction book based on the Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level set from 1956.

SNIP

I’ve tried to build into these hi-level cars a degree of detail on par with the Super Chief cars: lift-off roof, lift-out upper level seats, spiral stairs, kitchen stoves, and a dumb-waiter (elavator for the food service).

In some ways I’ve tired of pushing toward another construction book, page-count, layout, print-publishing. And, in other ways I feel a bit distracted from simply enjoying this hobby. To this end, I would like to introduce this El Capitan Hi-Level design immediately and (hopefully) conveniently via this crude You Can Build it! Hi-Level El Capitan web-page generated by PowerPoint (I’m no webmaster).

SNIP

   And, thank you for checking out this El Capitan Hi-Level set design, I hope you enjoy it-- if you should wish to build it and can find the pieces necessary to build it!

later,

James Mathis

James,

These look great. I’d love to be able to build the whole consist. I was curious if you were planning to release the MPD files? I find these come in handy for trying to figure out what parts I don’t have via Peeron. For example I would upload a limited set list to Peeron with just the Santa Fe sets that I own and then I would do Peeron’s “build a MOC with your sets” thing with your MPD file. It would then tell me immediately what additional parts I need beyond what I already have in my Santa Fe sets. Not sure if anyone else does it this way. I used this approach to build your Santa Fe B-Unit. I setup my inventory to just be two 10020 sets and then I used your MPD to figure out what additional parts I’d need to make my own “B-Unit Kit” (later obtained via Bricklink purchases).

Thanks for sharing these creations and the detailed presentation for building them. If I knew I had the parts I would already be building these as we speak. They look really cool. I was just thinking that I hadn’t notice you posting any new MOCs lately. I was hoping your absence meant you were working on another batch of official sets to be released by TLC. Maybe freight cars for the BNSF or something. Now I see it was this project which is just as cool but, alas, a bit harder for me to have for my own.

Curious about the bufferless trucks. Is there a reason that you didn’t go with them completely? Do you like the ones with the buffers better? Are there running problems with the bufferless ones? It looks like the cars would have slightly less space between them which I suspect would look more prototypical but may have issues in the tight LEGO curves.

Thanks!
Paul D’Urbano