 Trains / 23895
Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:17:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:

   SNIP

   These look great. I’d love to be able to build the whole consist. I was curious if you were planning to release the MPD files? I find these come in handy for trying to figure out what parts I don’t have via Peeron. For example I would upload a limited set list to Peeron with just the Santa Fe sets that I own and then I would do Peeron’s “build a MOC with your sets” thing with your MPD file. It would then tell me immediately what additional parts I need beyond what I already have in my Santa Fe sets. Not sure if anyone else does it this way. I used this approach to build your Santa Fe B-Unit. I setup my inventory to just be two 10020 sets and then I used your MPD to figure out what additional parts I’d need to make my own “B-Unit Kit” (later obtained via Bricklink purchases).

Wow! That’s a really good way to approach getting the parts you need. The part acquisition has always troubled me. I want people to have as easy a time building the model as possible, and making an MPD file available to assist this process should be fine. I have some tweaking to do the MPD file that I would release for this application. Please forgive me that this might take another day or two.

Again, thanks for sharing how you use the inventory tools to identify the parts you still need to get.

   Thanks for sharing these creations and the detailed presentation for building them. If I knew I had the parts I would already be building these as we speak. They look really cool.

Thanks.

   I was just thinking that I hadn’t notice you posting any new MOCs lately. I was hoping your absence meant you were working on another batch of official sets to be released by TLC. Maybe freight cars for the BNSF or something. Now I see it was this project which is just as cool but, alas, a bit harder for me to have for my own.

No such activity. I sincerely hope that some freight cars are in development, as well.

   Curious about the bufferless trucks. Is there a reason that you didn’t go with them completely?

I stuck with the bufferless trucks to keep the design similarly to the off-the-shelf official LEGO Santa Fe Super Chief cars. The buffered trucks are also a straight-forward familiar build using exactly the parts from the Santa Fe car trucks. The bufferless trucks require one to source those 2x3 “pierced-tonque” plates to hold the magnet/holder. Those may be harder to find...alas, not as hard to find as the grey split-level train baseplates :-(

   Do you like the ones with the buffers better?

No.

   Are there running problems with the bufferless ones? It looks like the cars would have slightly less space between them which I suspect would look more prototypical but may have issues in the tight LEGO curves.

Not that I have found.

later,

James Mathis