 Trains / 23896
Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:32:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lester Witter wrote:

   Is there any way to build an equilalent to the split base using plates and maybe technic (lift arms?). This is a difficult part. You have to buy a club car and it might not be old gray

I tried; but, I never found a way to get a build-up equivalent to have place the lower level floor to be at the same height as the split-level train baseplate.

Uhm, may I humbly and cautiously suggest... using black split-level train baseplates and spray-painting them grey. (Oh, man, I can’t believe I wrote that.) I’ve seriously considered painting some of mine white. This would be a paint-job of only the exposed profile/sides of the baseplate; not the top with the studs. The paint is a bonds-to-plastic product made by Krylon, called “Fusion”. See this page for colors. This Krylon Fusion spray-paint comes in spray-cans. I found it at Wal-Mart. I sprayed White Fusion onto a black 2x4 brick. The resulting white is “whiter” than “LEGO white”. The spray application does take care: lots of multiple VERY thin coats. The result of my first-time practice was that one side was a bit “grainy” while another side was very smooth and slick. I did coat the studs. This was a mistake, for the paint does add thickness. Subsequent stacking of a non-fusion part stripped the fusion paint off the stud side-walls.

Well, LEGO changed grey on us...why not change black split-level train baseplates into grey. We’ve got two greys now, why not add a third ;-) I don’t know what grey Krylon Fusion looks like compared to any of the LEGO greys-- I haven’t tried it.

later,

James Mathis