 Trains / 15270
Re: 10020 limited to 10000 sets or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:28:13 GMT

Na, give us an A4 Mallard(1) (think of the compound curved pieces for that
one!!!)

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Wilson writes:
Yep, you got it. Class is A4, a Pacific (4-6-2) wheel arrangement, Mallard
was the engine which took the world steam speed record of 126 mph in in 1938
IIRC. Designed by Sir Nigel Gresley for the LNER.

Here she is:
http://www.freefoto.com/pictures/transport_rail_steam/mainline/index.asp?i=4
(running)
http://www.freefoto.com/pictures/transport_rail_steam/nrm/index.asp?i=53
(Now in rail museum)

And more info
http://www.o-keating.com/hsr/mallard.htm
http://www.wandleys.demon.co.uk/mallard.htm

Thanks for confirming my memory. Now for the real test: Someone built a
LEGO(r) model of it some time back? For 50 points, who can give the URL(s)
to the builder's pics???

[Slowly raises hand] It was a long time ago, okay?  Over a year and a half.
I didn't have any track or 9V wheels either:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.j.railton/mallard/index.html

And Larry knows this because he was there.  Look on the link to Huw's
photos.  All the effort went into the walking AT-AT at the time (see my
Space section).

But yes, I'd love to see Lego Direct do a nice big version of this.  They
could leave the fairings off if they wanted to - many of these ran from
day-to-day without them.  But, big train wheels, lots of curves.  It would
be great.

Jason J Railton