 Trains / 15089
Re: 10020 at brickswest and what the Sr. VP of lego direct said
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:11:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, Ahui Herrera writes:
BTW The santa fe that lego brough to show us WAS GIVEN away as a prize at
the last minute.  It was number 84,???. I think.  As for the curved track
the word was that new track geometry is being worked on and will be coming
soon in the curves.  The comments on the 8-wide is "We will not rule
anything out" and "no comment, but don't expect it anytime soon."

Yes BUT they already HAVE an 8 wide set... the tanker. :-)
which in fact has no problems with the actual curve radius. Stay 6 or 7-w and
you don't need new curves. I want big train wheels and red wheel blocks now...
(But to be honest: I've already got more news to buy in 2002 than I ever had
expected).

Regards,

Ben

Well, we've had this debate before. I want big wheels too. But the curves
need fixing. We need two radii so that parallel tracks look better. We need
the turnout/switch geometry fixed so you can do a proper diverge and a
proper crossover. We need shorter straight segments to make odd layouts work
correctly.

I had always believed that we were unlikely to get these things due to the
very high tooling costs (they'd rather spend their tooling dollars on things
like the rock raiders one piece large vehicle base).

If rumors/VPs are now in effect saying "wait... we're working on it" instead
of "ain't gonna happen any time soon, market isn't big enough" that is huge
news. News of success.