 Trains / 15094
Re: 10020 at brickswest and what the Sr. VP of lego direct said
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:56:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel writes:

"Ahui Herrera" <jedi_agh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
According to the VP 8-wide is NOT a high priority item to them right now.
More on this later this week once I have the transcipt of the Q&A sesison
done.

Not to start another 6 vs. 8 wide debate, but I hope Lego Direct
concentrates on the continued revival of the six wide, 9 volt train line and
expanding the bulk parts line parts instead of producing 8 wide trains. I
would much rather pay for a new and improved track system (automated
points!) instead of 8 wide rolling stock...

Here is a question for the Bricksmiths and others experienced in selling
custom sets... How much would the Sante Fe cost if it were produced at 8
studs across? It would obviously require more bricks. +10%? +20%?

I feel that it's not just width, you have to increase length a fair bit and
height a small bit when you go to 8 wide, so I would argue that the brick
increase is anywhere from 30% to 100%, tending toward the higher of that range.

J2 disagrees, he thinks it's less... that highlights that it's really a
matter of opinion as I don't think anyone has done a real crisp study of two
models that everyone agrees are "the same".

But I would doubt that anyone would think it's only 10% more bricks... (even
accounting for the fact that things are hollow.)