 Publishing / 3936
Re: [PRESS RELEASE] INTRODUCING BRICKS? MAGAZINE - THE LEGO® FAN MAGAZINE.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:06:37 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.publish, John P. Henderson writes:

Personally, I would consider any clone info in my LEGO fan magazine noisey
and annoying.  I couldn't care less about clones and wouldn't want them
cluttering up the mag-- it would be reason enough for me to unsubscribe--
once I've already subscribed, that is:-)

As I've already stated, don't count clones out. We are independent of the
LEGO Company for a reason.

However, this magazine caters to the LEGO fan...as we know, clones and
competitors are living off of the brilliant design concepts (and in some
cases, making molds directly from) of existing LEGO product, and as is
proven right here at LUGNET, clones are a very small sub-set of the fan
experience. MacAddict doesn't feature Windows machines...Bricks doesn't
necessarily need to mention clones.

  As one of the leading pro-clone loudmouths around here, I feel smugly
qualified to comment directly on this issue.  As far as I'm concerned, I
absolutely don't think there's any reason to include clone brand info in an
"official" (which is not to say "licensed" or "endorsed" fan magazine), just
as I maintain that there's no reason to include clone.dats in official LDraw
libraries.  Other clone-fans may disagree, but I am content with the
off-topic.clone-brands forum we already enjoy by the good graces of Todd and
Suz; it would simply be presumptuous to demand that another LEGO forum
accommodate us as well.

Also keep in mind that we are striving for an all ages access publication.
Some of our issues regarding clones won't or don't matter to many kids.

  Well, if they do, let them pester us clone-fans for a magazine.  Until
then, a LEGO-only fanmag is fine with me.

Anyway, I certainly hope that we wouldn't loose subscribers based on the
occasional reference to something someone doesn't like personally, or
vice-versa. Does every publication you read cater 100% to just you? Of
course not.

  True. But if I'm reading, say, The Wall Street journal and it becomes
hopelessly cluttered with recipes for apple fritters, then I'll likely
reconsider my subscription the next time it comes due.

    Dave!