 Publishing / 3932
Re: [PRESS RELEASE] INTRODUCING BRICKS™ MAGAZINE - THE LEGO® FAN MAGAZINE.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 19:16:04 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.publish, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
Very cool.  I'm looking forward to subscribing.  A few questions:

1.  What will be the attitude of the magazine towards clone
brands--completely ignore them?  mention them only disparagingly?  equally
review other brand sets?

Also, as we are a publication devoted to the entire fan experience, don't
count clones out (but don't expect extensive coverage either).

Matt, just a suggestion, but perhaps you might consider including clone
brands a little more.  Maybe something like a "Clone Corner", a one page
column in every issue on clone brand issues.  Personally, I have never
bought any clone brands, nor would I ever, but I suggest it as a way to make
the magazine more well rounded.  Other hobbyist mags that I have seen are
usually more broad than just one manufacturer.  Also, if you needed to
supplement funds and make it into a commercial magazine (i.e. if you plan to
sell advertisement space), then an an occasional half-page or full-page add
from a clone brand might be reasonable (presuming a similar amount of space
is offered to TLC also).  (And naturally, some ad space might be sold to
owners of Bricklink stores and the like too.)  (For one-time sellers, you
might offer a classified section in the back...)

Again, just suggesting things at this point.  I haven't seen the preview
yet, so maybe you've already considered such.

Looking forward to the outcome of all this,
-Hendo