 Pirates / 1471
Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:42:19 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, Ronan Webb writes:
Certainly the early books weren't overly technical or O'Brian would not have
sold many more.

Just the first book.  The *constant* refrain from people who see me lugging
around an Aubrey/Maturin novel is, "Does it get better after the first one?"

Really?  I loved the first one, thought the beginning of the second was rather
slow,
but now that he's on his bizarre double-bowed ship, things are picking up again.

The technical terminology didn't bothe rme at all...but it did cause me to pick
up a
copy of the _Oxford Companion to Ships & the Sea_.

Even without that, though, Maturin is a complete 'lubber and often has to have
nautical things explained to him during the course of the book, so it's possible

to follow the important stuff.