 Pirates / 1457
Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:12:38 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Jeff Johnston writes:
Mr L F Braun wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, Jeff Johnston writes:
Also, if any of you get the chance to visit the UK, do try to make it to
the National
Maritime Museum in Greenwich.  It's a very short train ride from central
London
and is well worth it.  The _Cutty Sark_, last of the great tea clippers,
is also on
display nearby.

   It's a ship in fine shape--I only saw it at night, but it's
   a very pleasant sight in the moonlight.

The inside has been modified, I fear, to be a museum - there's no way it'll
ever sail again, which is a pity.  There's a nice display of figureheads
from
various ships, though.

   I'll have to see it--real pity about the interior being altered,
   though I guess I can't blame them--the tea clippers weren't exactly
   passenger liners.

   I didn't realise they'd dragged the whole carcass (such as it was,
   which wasn't much) of the _Mary Rose_ out of its grave!  Amazing.

It was quite impressive - and actually, they pulled up almost half the ship!

For those who don't follow current events, the _Mary Rose_ was
commissioned by Henry VIII as a warship, but sank in a storm - somewhere
in the Channel I believe.  Half the ship (the port side, if I remember
right)
was buried in the silt of the seabed, which preserved the timbers and even
some of the cargo.  (The unstrung longbows they found encased in wax
were still in firing condition!)

   Heavens!  I didn't realise *that* either.  All i knew is that
   the ship and some remnant of its cargo had been found, nothing
   more...now I'll ask for decent book recommendations on that!
   (Do you know if one's been published?)

Divers found it, and the hull remnant was raised - it's now in a gigantic
hall where they are constantly spraying it with a preservative solution that

is designed to seep into the wood and force the water out - if they just
left
it as it was, it would have disintegrated.

   Yep, this is exactly the procedure that was really pioneered
   with _Wasa_ (or Vasa, if you want the anglicised version).  My
   gf saw the Wasa museum while in Stockholm, and she really liked
   it--and she's not much one for ships ("boats", if that gives you
   a clue as to how un-nautical she is).  But the theory is sound,
   so it's not too much of a shock they decided to repeat it for
   the remnants of the _Mary Rose_.

   There's a replica of the _Golden Hinde_ moored in Southwark, by the
   way,

Durn. Wish I had known that - oh well, I think the wife was about sailed
out by the end of the Greenwich trip...

   I'm not sure it's still there.  Like a lot of replicas (for example,
   the _Endeavour_ replica, and the _Mayflower_ and _Half Moon_ replicas)
   it moves around.  I found it entirely by accident, walking along the
   riverline in Southwark (something of a trick because a lot of the
   waterfront is behind buildings or otherwise obstructed).  Suddenly
   I rounded a corner near Southwark Cathedral and *bam* there it was.
   It's a tiny thing, too!  I'd say it's about the size of a caravan
   (mobile home for the North Americans).  Stunning that such a little
   ship--the dimensions are right even if the exact plan of Drake's
   ship can never be known--not only overhauled and captured galleons,
   but sailed around the world packed with gold and spices.

   best

   Lindsay