 Pirates / 1459
Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:47:02 GMT

Well, I missed the start of this thread, and this is mostly an echo of what
other people are saying....

A few years back I and Jo got to spend the day in Mystic Seaport. very cool
town and very  nautical flavor. We also went to Groton but just drove past,
didn't do any seeing there.

I saw the Golden Hind this year as well, outside only. It is an amazing
replica and they've got it in a pretty place for walking. Hard to believe
that tiny thing could defeat so many galleons! That whole area E of the
Southwark bridge is an interesting walk, check out the remnants of
Westminster Castle, the ancient Clink prison, and the shipyard turned into a
mall. Walk a little farther along that side of the river and you can see the
HMS Belfast, a much more modern ship than the Hind... :-) That was back in
July, I was by myself.

I saw the Endeavour when I was in Australia. Fun ship. Hard to believe they
sailed around the world in it. Richard Parsons, David Low and myself have
some snaps of it amid Sydneyside sights.

I managed to make it to Portsmouth with a Mercator friend and toured the
inside of the Victory. Man is it cramped inside for the number of men (and
cannons!) it carried. The Warrior looked cool from the outside but we didn't
have time to go inside. I can see why Lindsay liked it though. I was taken
with the modern ships around us, and with the coastal monitor. Didn't see
the Mary Rose but heard it is very cool to see. I have some snaps of tiny
little naval railway cars used dockside for moving stores around and stuff.

Lindsay and I managed to tour the Maritime museum, I can't speak highly
enough of that, it's great. I liked all the ship models, and the two models
of shipyards. (although I'm not sure but what I didn't like the London
Transport museum better, being a train head).

I walk past the Cutty Sark every day on my way to work while at this client
(this is my 7th week with them now, spaced out over 3 trips and a flyback in
the middle of one trip) just before I get on the DLR. The Cutty Sark is MUCH
bigger than the Victory or the Hind, and may be a bit bigger than the
Warrior but I am not sure. Very pretty ship, lots of sail area to be had on
it when fully rigged. The Gypsy Moth racing sloop across the trans Thames
pedestrian tunnel entrance is also worth a see.

Speaking of unusual ships, right outside my window right now is a catamaran
with fixed wing sails... they are mounted vertically and pivot based on wind
direction. It is to be used for a circumglobal trip that is to set out soon.

(it's docked among all the Sea Scout boats and small ships, Sea Scouts must
be a UK phenom, we don't have these in the US)

Net net, if you like pirates, visit a nautical museum, wherever you may
be!!! well worth the time.

++Lar