 Pirates / 1450
1449  |  1451
Subject:
(Non-LEGO) Recommendation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:01:09 GMT

Anyone out there looking for some good, Age-of-Sail-era related reading
material?
While I was in the bookstore looking for reading material to take on the
plane, I
came across a series of novels by Patrick O'Brian.  They deal with the
life of a
British naval officer in the early 19th century, during the Napoleonic
wars - a bit
out of the pirate era but at the height of the tall ships' glory.  The
first book in the
series is called _Master and Commander_, and I highly recommend it.

Also, if any of you get the chance to visit the UK, do try to make it to
the National
Maritime Museum in Greenwich.  It's a very short train ride from central
London
and is well worth it.  The _Cutty Sark_, last of the great tea clippers,
is also on
display nearby.

(We didn't make it down to Portsmouth on this trip (too much to see in
London
itself) but for sail buffs it's well worth the trip - the Royal Naval
Museum and
Nelson's flagship the _HMS Victory_, as well as the remnants of a ship
built
by Henry VIII, the _Mary Rose_.)