 Pirates / 1454
Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Jeff Johnston writes:
Anyone out there looking for some good, Age-of-Sail-era related reading
material? ...

[snipped good recommendation]

Also, if any of you get the chance to visit the UK, do try to make it to
the National
Maritime Museum in Greenwich.  It's a very short train ride from central
London
and is well worth it.  The _Cutty Sark_, last of the great tea clippers,
is also on
display nearby.

   It's a ship in fine shape--I only saw it at night, but it's
   a very pleasant sight in the moonlight.  And it's mentioned
   at the DLR stop!  Always a sure sign that you're important,
   methinks.

(We didn't make it down to Portsmouth on this trip (too much to see in
London
itself) but for sail buffs it's well worth the trip - the Royal Naval
Museum and
Nelson's flagship the _HMS Victory_, as well as the remnants of a ship
built
by Henry VIII, the _Mary Rose_.)

   I didn't realise they'd dragged the whole carcass (such as it was,
   which wasn't much) of the _Mary Rose_ out of its grave!  Amazing.
   There's a replica of the _Golden Hinde_ moored in Southwark, by the
   way, as well as another Elizabethan vessel (I believe it's a replica
   of Henry Hudson's _Half Moon_) that occasions the area.  Isn't there
   also a replica _Endeavour_ out and about Londonwise?

   Incidentally, while the highly-modified first-rate _Victory_ is
   definitely a must-see at Portsmouth, as are the artefacts in the
   vicinity, the *real* draw ought to be HMS _Warrior._  (Why no,
   I'm not particular to steam-driven, screw-propelled ironclads,
   why do you ask?)  It's the real deal--restored to its glory
   after being spotted in use as a floating jetty about 30 years
   ago.  It's a gorgeous ship, only recently finished restoration,
   and I've only seen the pictures...but soon, very soon.  [Insert
   evil laughter, etc etc]

   Mmmm...Droid Escape = 8-wide smokestacks in grey and white...

   best

   Lindsay