 Pirates / 1469
Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:35:58 GMT

"Gerry Venteicher" <MRBEAR569@aol.com> wrote in message
news:G4qzo5.LxM@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

This is probably the best series in this time frame and consists of a
staggering 20 books (Patrick O'Brian, alas, passed away at the start of • this
year).  The first book is on the overly fussy technical side and can be a
bit of a chore to read.  The 3rd through 5th books are outstanding.  I'm • on
the 13th one at the moment.
  Hi Bruce,
  Can you tell me if a person who started reading the books by O'brian • would
be lost if they did not read them in chronilogical order.  They sound • really
interesting.  Any idea if there is an online bookstore I could purchase
Hardbacks from?
Thanks,
Gerry

Hi,
Do read them all - start with book one and continue in sequence.
The initial collision of the principals is entertaining in itself.
You'll enjoy the experience all the more going from #1 onward (I guess, as
it's what I've done.)
Certainly the early books weren't overly technical or O'Brian would not have
sold many more.
I suppose I hadn't a clue a lot what the various widgets and winds were most
of the time,
but like children don't fully understand what they read or watch, this
leaves plenty of room for the
imagination, which aids in the escapism.
I'm nearing the end of  #19 now and when #20 is done I'll be thoroughly
saddened.
I'll have lost some good friends in Maturin & Aubrey. Some meandering,
lifeless passages on the way,
but absolutely top-class  taken altogether.

Enjoy.

Ronan