 Pirates / 1456
Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:49:14 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, Jeff Johnston writes:
Also, if any of you get the chance to visit the UK, do try to make it to
the National
Maritime Museum in Greenwich.  It's a very short train ride from central
London
and is well worth it.  The _Cutty Sark_, last of the great tea clippers,
is also on
display nearby.

   It's a ship in fine shape--I only saw it at night, but it's
   a very pleasant sight in the moonlight.

The inside has been modified, I fear, to be a museum - there's no way it'll
ever sail again, which is a pity.  There's a nice display of figureheads
from
various ships, though.

(We didn't make it down to Portsmouth on this trip (too much to see in
London
itself) but for sail buffs it's well worth the trip - the Royal Naval
Museum and
Nelson's flagship the _HMS Victory_, as well as the remnants of a ship
built
by Henry VIII, the _Mary Rose_.)

   I didn't realise they'd dragged the whole carcass (such as it was,
   which wasn't much) of the _Mary Rose_ out of its grave!  Amazing.

It was quite impressive - and actually, they pulled up almost half the ship!

For those who don't follow current events, the _Mary Rose_ was
commissioned by Henry VIII as a warship, but sank in a storm - somewhere
in the Channel I believe.  Half the ship (the port side, if I remember
right)
was buried in the silt of the seabed, which preserved the timbers and even
some of the cargo.  (The unstrung longbows they found encased in wax
were still in firing condition!)

Divers found it, and the hull remnant was raised - it's now in a gigantic
hall where they are constantly spraying it with a preservative solution that

is designed to seep into the wood and force the water out - if they just
left
it as it was, it would have disintegrated.

   There's a replica of the _Golden Hinde_ moored in Southwark, by the
   way,

Durn. Wish I had known that - oh well, I think the wife was about sailed
out by the end of the Greenwich trip...