 Pirates / 1451
Re: (Non-LEGO) Recommendation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:39:32 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Jeff Johnston writes:
Anyone out there looking for some good, Age-of-Sail-era related reading
material?
While I was in the bookstore looking for reading material to take on the
plane, I
came across a series of novels by Patrick O'Brian.  They deal with the
life of a
British naval officer in the early 19th century, during the Napoleonic
wars - a bit
out of the pirate era but at the height of the tall ships' glory.  The
first book in the
series is called _Master and Commander_, and I highly recommend it.

This is probably the best series in this time frame and consists of a
staggering 20 books (Patrick O'Brian, alas, passed away at the start of this
year).  The first book is on the overly fussy technical side and can be a
bit of a chore to read.  The 3rd through 5th books are outstanding.  I'm on
the 13th one at the moment.  Others to consider are Dewey Lambdin's Alan
Lewrie series, not as good, but a lot more bawdy.  Peter Bolitho series by
Alexander Kent, but the character is a goody-two shoes type.  Of course,
Horatio Hornblower.

Also, if any of you get the chance to visit the UK, do try to make it to
the National
Maritime Museum in Greenwich.  It's a very short train ride from central
London
and is well worth it.  The _Cutty Sark_, last of the great tea clippers,
is also on
display nearby.

I'm embarrased to admit I passed through Boston and didn't even think to
hunt up the U.S.S. Constitution (didn't really have time, but geez, my
favorite ship and it still is there to see).

(We didn't make it down to Portsmouth on this trip (too much to see in
London
itself) but for sail buffs it's well worth the trip - the Royal Naval
Museum and
Nelson's flagship the _HMS Victory_, as well as the remnants of a ship
built
by Henry VIII, the _Mary Rose_.)

Ahhhhh, if I ever get to England....

Bruce