 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17514
Re: Walker useing new leg design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:24:53 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ross Crawford wrote:
Brian Davis wrote:

Thank you! That's actually nice photodocumentation, and I'll try to put one
together based on that. I wonder if for larger structures you might need to go
to beams for some of the connections that are under tension during parts of the
cycle.

I think you need to make one leg - you will be shocked at how well it
preforms. The short answer is no - no need for beams in this leg design.
just the beauty of parallel linkages.

check out philo's gif of the leg motion (the "oval) at the bottom

http://www.philohome.com/theo/tj.gif

the leg is only "taking weight" when the foot is on the ground, and
then, thats when the "back" of the leg is more or less in a line. All
the weight is transfered along the length of the axles "vertically" to
the one point where the entire leg is attached to the frame.

You might find that the beams that pull the leg sideways are under enough
tension with a large version to cause problems though, especially if moving over
difficult terrain.

(Bright blue or bright green in that image depending on direction of travel)

ROSCO