 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17498
Re: Walker useing new leg design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 02:56:59 GMT

Brian Davis wrote:
> In lugnet.technic, Chris Magno wrote:
>
>> I found the best way to learn about this very neat leg
>> concept is to build one...
>
> ..and the best way to introduce someone to Theo Jansen's amazing
mechanisms is
> to have someone build one out of common materials you have on hand
(OK, I'm a
> little short of 7L axles as well, but that can be worked around).
Really, this
> is beautiful, and hypnotic to watch. I would almost certainly have
tried to do
> it with studless beams, which would have worked... but wouldn't have the
> wonderful look of your version. Kudos!

Thanks for your kind words.

Mainly because of Brian's "whining"  ;)   about not having  enough 7L
axles, I've thrown together "quasi-instructions" on how to make one leg
using mainly 4's 6's and 8 long axles.

I'm not a CAD'er so Brian (or anyone) can use this montage of photos to
make this version of one leg:

(after moderation)

(This is a deep link to the fist photo of 15 pics
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/Walker/Leg/aa006.jpg
please add one to the number to get the other photos until moderation)

>> I want to thank Janey for being the Flame under my butt.
>
> Interesting mental image :-) . But still, we always knew she was a
robot type at
> heart. Now that we're combining art with mechanism, I think I'd try
for the
> "rhino" version next. Actually, I think I now know what to do with
some solar
> cells that have been kicking around here...

Solar cell's NOW thats a neat idea, and a great way to recreate the
"life" that Theo Jansen envisioned for his beasts.

Chris

*  All photos taken with a Sony Ericson k510A cell phone.
** All videos done with a (refurbished) Labtec 640x480 web cam, and
edited with XP moviemaker