 Technic / 15948
  Walker useing new leg design

After a few long weeks of tinkering, I think Ive settled on a final design that I would like to display at the (URL) Toronto Hobby show.> (URL) This is a six leg walker, that uses the leg design of (URL) Theo Jansen> After seeing his video (URL) (...) (17 years ago, 19-Oct-07, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX) !!

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) Chris, its simply amazing. One of the most elegant moving MOCs I have ever seen. Im blown away how great and streamline it looks and how smooth it functions. Oh yeah, and its kick butt CREEPY too. Totally love this MOC, by far, my most (...) (17 years ago, 19-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) Congratulations, Chris, you wonderfully captured the light and organic structure of Theo Jansen creations. Simply wonderful! Philo (17 years ago, 19-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

As I wanted to play with your design (and if possible decrease the number of L7 axles still relatively scarce in my collection...), I modelled it using (URL) Euklides 2.02 geometry freeware>. (URL) Euklides file is (URL) here>. You can animate the (...) (17 years ago, 20-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) As Elmer Fudd would say, "That MOC wocks!";-) All seriousness aside, that is trés cool, Chris. Can't wait for Ross' reaction-- He'll flip out! It's funny; he's actually building a robot-thingy (I think that the technical term) right now as (...) (17 years ago, 20-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

Wow, this is awesome! I can't wait to see it in person. Derek (17 years ago, 20-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

In lugnet.technic, Chris Magno wrote: That is beautiful!! It's better than the spider you were working on when first we met! Nicely done! Dave K (17 years ago, 21-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) I wanted to say thank you for your kind words; I also should add that I routinely use your page as a guide when thinking about lego motors. (URL) to the simulation. It is simply fantastic. I played with it for a short while, and all I can say, (...) (17 years ago, 21-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) Thank you John. Please encourage Ross to work more on robots, and less on that "other" thing you do. ;) Also have Ross try the simulator Philo posted. It works like a charm. (...) Hypercube? Nice link. Im going to try to make one of these. :) (...) (17 years ago, 21-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) ..and the best way to introduce someone to Theo Jansen's amazing mechanisms is to have someone build one out of common materials you have on hand (OK, I'm a little short of 7L axles as well, but that can be worked around). Really, this is (...) (17 years ago, 21-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) So stinkin' slick! (17 years ago, 21-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) thanks Dave, glad to see you are still around - we missed you at r22 when I kicked robot butt! In other news, this leg has inspired me to try to modify it so I can use it for my grand dream of my 6 leg rcx powered walker. I dont have video of (...) (17 years ago, 21-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) thanks - it will be there, as well, and a few other odd's and ends. Chris (17 years ago, 21-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

Brian Davis wrote: > In lugnet.technic, Chris Magno wrote: > >> I found the best way to learn about this very neat leg >> concept is to build one... > > ..and the best way to introduce someone to Theo Jansen's amazing mechanisms is > to have someone (...) (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(URL) I went on and built my own version, using 8 legs with 90° phase offset and Power Functions motorization. Still a few things to improve, such as the bad balance due to the weight of the battery pack... See it (URL) here>. Thanks again for the (...) (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

In lugnet.technic, Chris Magno wrote: I can't believe I missed the best part of that build!!!! No, it's not the wonderfully designed legs No, it's not the plethora of 7 l axles No, it's not the racer motor providing the power.... It's the worm to 24 (...) (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) It must be his "thing" .... he taught me too, giggle. (...) HEY MISTER... That bot sucks! Couldnt resist! Janey, "AT least my first bot was pretty, Red Brick" (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) Ha! That wasn't whining, that was just idle wishing! You wait 'till I've got up a good head of steam, and *then* I'll show you some whining! ;-) (...) See, now *there's* a practical way to to shut me up - just send my the parts :-). I'm (...) (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) LOL, I will leave it to Chris answer more technically, but I can tell you, I watched him motor that beast up with a few different motors, and gearing selections, and I was blown away. With a good torquey (yeah, its a word) motor and no (...) (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) Uh, no, I guess not, (URL) or you might send me to bed again.> Janey "Look, this is me behaving, Red Brick" (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) That's a very neat walker. I believe (URL) tractor> used a very similar mechanism, but I didn't bother to do a sketch. If you want to check it out yourself it's at the transport museum in Wetaskiwin Alberta. Or at least it was in 2001. I don't (...) (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Walker using new leg design

(...) I fiddled with lengths in Euklides till I got a reasonnably flat and horizontal path for the foot, while keeping axle lengths even, and came up with this one. After building I had again a closer look at this other simulation: (URL) the bottom (...) (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) You might find that the beams that pull the leg sideways are under enough tension with a large version to cause problems though, especially if moving over difficult terrain. ROSCO (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) (Bright blue or bright green in that image depending on direction of travel) ROSCO (17 years ago, 22-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker using new leg design

(...) Thats a nice walker. Great job, now I want to place a brickshelf order so i can get more 7L axles. :) May I ask why you went with a longer axle at the "front" of the leg? As opposed to making it a "square" design. Also, great idea on the IR (...) (17 years ago, 23-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) WOW - those were the good old days. thats when I could make a robot in less than 10 min, on the same day of the game. If I recall, the day went like this: my bot starts to push your bot; (URL) bot pushes your out of the ring. (URL) to the worm (...) (17 years ago, 23-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) oh i'll show you a "thing" or two! (...) ummm, do we really want to talk about your pretty PINk robot? really? Chris (17 years ago, 23-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) yeah, that's about how i remembered it as well Dave K (17 years ago, 23-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) > Ha! That wasn't whining, that was just idle wishing! You wait 'till I've got up > a good head of steam, and *then* I'll show you some whining! ;-) > oh yay - next year will be no Cicada's but a room full of Brian whining. I'd like to sign up (...) (17 years ago, 23-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) Murfled! :) Chris (17 years ago, 23-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  rtl sumo from a long time ago was - something about walkers

(...) ok, who are you and what did you do with the REAL Dave K? I set you up for some good classic rtl smack, and thats what I got? Dave, go back and please try again. I rate that at D-. Chris (17 years ago, 23-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) thanks Ross. Thats also a neat looking tractor. Im going to go look at it some more. Chris (17 years ago, 23-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) hummmmm, maybe Im not understanding. as I see it, all the "weight" is at the one pivot point in the leg that attaches to the "frame." (the thick black line in Philo's Gif.) Chris (17 years ago, 23-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Walker useing new leg design

(...) But weight is not the only force happening - something has to move it laterally. When the leg is pulled sideways the link doing the pulling is in tension, the heavier the bot is, the more tension there will be. ROSCO (17 years ago, 24-Oct-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)