 Off-Topic / Debate / 16551
Re: Lego and the NBA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:02:02 GMT

In lugnet.football, Shaun Sullivan writes:
In lugnet.football, Christopher Snead writes:

Third, I'm getting tired of hearing the whole"Lego yellow is neutral"
argument.  That is complete denial.  it's easy enough to introduce Steven
Spielberg minifigures or Harry Potter minifigures that are a "neutral"
yellow, but where are the Lando Calrissian or Mace Windu figures, or the
Pele soccer minifigures?

Well, to be fair, right here:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3407 (Spanish, Portuguese)

I'll never be able to understand what went through LEGO designers' heads
when they chose this colour scheme to depict Portugal and Spain: neither
team has this gear, nor even similar ones!

Even if they don't have a 'fig with Pele's number (which I don't recall off the
top of my head),

10?  (wild guess :-)

it's clear that these are not predominantly caucasian teams.

Predominantly, they are (I'm referring to .pt and .es alone). But not
exclusively. And it is odd to play a game with the portuguese team and not
include Abel Xavier!

This seems to refute your point above; clearly, these teams are designed to
represent different ethnicities, yet they use the standard yellow minifig.
Maybe producing a bus that comes with Cameroon, Nigerian, and Tunisian flags
would have made the point all that much clearer, but it seems that the yellow
'fig is, for the time being, supposed to represent any/all ethnicities.

(Would there be a considerable market for those teams? That is part of the
reason behind the non-existance of african football sets, IMO)

LEGO has dealt with the racial issue in a very light manner, but what might
have been a clever idea in the beginning has turned now into a source of
embarassment. From the day LEGO chose to do stuff based on "actual" people,
it would have been wise to at least give us the choice of using another
head-colour. I find a bit pointless to make all human fleshtones in ABS, but
I now regard the *option* between yellow and brown as fairly reasonable.
Heck, I'd use lots of them!
Anyway, what was once an Euro-centric toy (well, it *was*), has now evolved
to a much more global one. Globalization for minifigs has come, there in no
need for concern about "the end of the yellow standard".

Just my €.02,

Pedro