 Sports / 226
Re: Lego and the NBA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 18:41:36 GMT

In lugnet.football, Todd Thuma writes:
I say keep all the minifigs yellow. Don't get into color. As soon as you do
then you will not have enough shades. The shade they use will not be dark
enough or light enough. Also most ethnicities are not color but facial features
as well. Do you print slanted eyes to depict Asians? How do you represent
American Indians or Indonesian people. Representing one or just a few and not
all would infuriate many.

Keep them yellow, way neutral enough for me.

Todd

Okay, first of all, think "The Simpons";  Sure, people aren't really yellow,
yet they have designated three or so colors for different ethicities.  Lego
should follow suit.

Second - as many colors as Lego currently has, I don't think it would
difficult to introduce three or so colors that can approximate a diversity
of ethicities.  I don't even care if they're pink or blue; I mean, isn't
that what that children's show "Doug" does?

Third, I'm getting tired of hearing the whole"Lego yellow is neutral"
argument.  That is complete denial.  it's easy enough to introduce Steven
Spielberg minifigures or Harry Potter minifigures that are a "neutral"
yellow, but where are the Lando Calrissian or Mace Windu figures, or the
Pele soccer minifigures?  Why weren't they introduced in a "neutral" yellow
color?  What about The Galidor firgures and the Belville firuges?  Are those
a "neutral" flesh tone color?

The fact is, as long as minifigures were simple, generic figures, the
neutral argument could be implemented.  But as soon as lego started making
characters that represtented real people, I think even they realized that
yellow is not, in fact, neutral.  For everyone who says that race shouldn't
be an issue in children's play, I say you probably haven't been around when
a child asks "Why are there no black minifigures?"  It's been an issue for
the last 25 years; it 's just a matter of who you ask...

Chris