 Sports / 215
Re: Lego and the NBA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 18:59:35 GMT

In lugnet.football, Frank Filz writes:
<SNIP>
And why shouldn't they try hard to appeal to the youth market? They are
in the business of making toys after all.

Frank
(directed to no one in particular)
Yes, but that is the exact reason we get galidor, bionicle, etc.  The AFOLs
are a small minority.   Sure, they buy alot more then kids, bet there so
many more kids.  Kids tastes have changed, and probablly wouldn't like the
spaceships, houses, and castles of the past.  Look at Lego's cataloges, they
are much more flashy, and practiccly every set has paragraphs about all the
cool and wonderfull things they have.  Look at racers, look at bionice,
don't you see that Lego, in order to stay in the market, has to do things
that AFOLs (and younger FOLs) might not like?  Lego has to strike a medium
between kids and adults, but kids outnumber adults and Lego sets lean alot
more to kids.

I could go on and on...

As for the basketball thing, I doubt Lego will change minifigs for race.
Lego said that yellow was chosen because of its neutrality.  I belive it
will stay that way.
I wonder what gimmicks that Lego will make for basketball.  I mean, minifigs
can't exactly throw balls, while minifigs can tilt to kick.  I wonder.. is
this NBA series going to be like the soccer sets, or more of a model series

John Kruer (who by the way is 12)

John Kruer