 Sports / 206
Re: Lego and the NBA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 17:26:57 GMT

I see great potential here not only in the NBA agreement but with other sports
as well. Some thoughts...

If the NBA idea is fully exploited we could have all kinds of sets. The most
obvious that comes to mind is all of the teams could be represented. Each
mini-fig torso could be printed with the team logo on the front and the players
number on the back. Each year could see trading packs where as members are
traded from team to team you could upgrade. There's even historical packs like
the olympic teams and the "Dream Teams". You could have sets like different
stadiums and the celebrities (sorry players) cars; Lamborginis, Porsches,
Jaguars. (Maybe Bram will be the next enthusiast taped for a set).

You could have sets that follow the players from their college teams, even
expand to the colleges (theres a lot more college teams than pro teams). You
could have sets that model the homes the stars (sorry atheletes) live in.

When they get into trouble you could have jail and courtroom sets. There might
even be dresses for some of the players and different hair color options, but
that was really only for one player.

Just imagine all of the pieces that you could part the sets out for. If they
had a "signing bonus set" you could finally get all those money tiles you been
wanting (probably in one set). Or perhaps they would come out with a big 2 by 4
tile with a big "signing bonus" check printed on it. The tiles for the
basketball arena would be a great source of dark brown and tan tiles. Imagine
the Celtics parquet floor. Of course, different color tiles would be available
from all the "paint" areas of the court. Put I guess those will probably be
made out of giant BURBs or some other acronym with printing on them.

As for other sports, imagine football (American kind), hockey, baseball,
tennis, and golf. We could finally have sets that model Fenway Park or an ice
arena (that would go great with my artic sets). I have always wanted a brown
bat or a grey club to put in the hands of one of my mini-figs. I was really
tired of using the broom as a poor substitute.

I personnaly can't wait for the swimming sports agreement. I know, I know not
real popular and who do you sign with, but I can dream can't I. I have needed
mini-figs in bathing suits since the first mini-fig was created. And if they
can do swimming then why not water polo or synchronized swimming. Just imagine
a minifig with a swim cap.

Well, I have my fingers crossed that Lego goes all the way with this idea on
the NBA agreement. Hopefully it will lead to more great expansions of the LEGO
Trademark.

Todd