 Announcements / 1638
  Lego and the NBA

From Bloomberg News, I read this blurb in Friday's San Francisco Chronicle, business section, page 2, column 1: LEGO TO MAKE BASKETBALL TOYS FOR NBA New York - Lego A/S, the Danish maker of its namesake plastic toy building blocks, will make (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.announce) !

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) Great, just what we need, another type of minifig leg. I say we call them "Longies" Jude x-post to .general (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) I guess the SF Chronical is a reliable source, especially when they are quoting a company spokesperson. Kind of makes one wonder, though, when the clip contains some obvious factual inaccuracies (soccer). Unless TLC is planning to recreate the (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) So much for the slogan "just imagine.....", Look's like Lego has used all their imagination. Maybe they'll make NBA dolls like the Galidor dolls. Jonathan (still longing for bulk packs....) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

Here is a larger blurb from lego.com: May 31 2002 LEGO COMPANY AND NBA BUILD COMPREHENSIVE GLOBAL ALLIANCE NEW YORK, MAY 30, 2002 – The LEGO Company and the National Basketball Association have reached an agreement for a comprehensive multi-year (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

My vote is for tattoed arms and legs on the minifig arms! Do you think they will be printed or or just stickers? Todd (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) LoL @ the 4O's! (getting’ the old peach basket out!) (...) This has controversy written -ALL- over it… I'm surprised nobody had qualms with the minifigs in the soccer sets. Quite a few counties have notable ethnic players… 0penin’ a can of (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) Red hair, don’t forget the *red hair!!! -R *infer any other color that Rodman may have had during his career. P.S. has anyone though of any other unique elements that may be incorporated into the sets? I'm thinkin’ shorts, obviously a (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

I see great potential here not only in the NBA agreement but with other sports as well. Some thoughts... If the NBA idea is fully exploited we could have all kinds of sets. The most obvious that comes to mind is all of the teams could be (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA or NHL ???

Still I think that the best sport-sets by LEGO would be the NHL sets! With all the NHL minifigs, arenas... WOW! Rene (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

I just want a minifig (American) football helmet you can paint at home to make your favorite team. (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

If they do these sets with minifigs I wonder if this will force LEGO to address the "race" issue with the figs? If they try to make the figures after real athletes then I would think so. jt (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

I say keep all the minifigs yellow. Don't get into color. As soon as you do then you will not have enough shades. The shade they use will not be dark enough or light enough. Also most ethnicities are not color but facial features as well. Do you (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) Of course, the three that you mentioned have been represented in the Ninja, Western, and Pirate (Islanders) lines. Or perhaps you were being ironic? I say make all kinds of colors for heads. They've done it with Duplo, they've done it with (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) I wouldn't count on too much in the way of trying to re-create specific players, other than perhaps one (like they did with football). (...) Well, since football (soccer) players wear shorts also, and they didn't do anything for them, I (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) Turn that frown upside down! The last thing we need is more elements that are useless for anything but the thing they were marketed for! (...) Pokemon is (sadly) no longer as popular as it once was. And anyway, Megablocks had the Pokemon (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

In lugnet.football, Frank Filz writes: <SNIP> (...) (directed to no one in particular) Yes, but that is the exact reason we get galidor, bionicle, etc. The AFOLs are a small minority. Sure, they buy alot more then kids, bet there so many more kids. (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) The "Yellow is neutral" line of argument is a total farce. Minifigs with yellow heads look like white, European people. It is as obvious as the nose in front of your face. Why does TLC make minifigs of every major star wars figure, and many (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA or NHL ???

(...) YES!I would love to see the great winged wheelnand the JLA.GO WINGS beat the avs! (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) I would think *most* football/soccer teams are *mostly* people of color. As much as I hate to see LEGO continue to dodge the color issue, I suspect we'll get more non-ethnic yellow people for basketball also. (URL) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) Remember, yellow was chosen when the only other color choices were red, blue, white, black, and maybe green. Now there are at least 66 colors (based on Peeron's color chart) including tan, brown, pink, sand red, maybe others that could (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) ¡Hey! We're talking LEGO here, I want a Rodman set with many colors/styles of hair so I can change them at whim. Hmmm...purple flattop tody... (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) Last time I checked 'white' European people were not bright Yellow. (...) About as ridiculous as the other main characters look in Yellow. Now when TLC announced that they would be producing Star Wars sets I was hoping that they would make the (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) EXCELLENT job AGAIN Lego with your marketing strategies (starting with eBay auctions and now the NBA) . You continue to expand the Lego name in today's ever-growing consumer society. eBay helped a lot and now with the expansion toward the NBA (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) Okay, first of all, think "The Simpons"; Sure, people aren't really yellow, yet they have designated three or so colors for different ethicities. Lego should follow suit. Second - as many colors as Lego currently has, I don't think it would (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) Well, to be fair, right here: (URL) (Spanish, Portuguese) (URL) (Brazilian, Mexican, Argentinian) Even if they don't have a 'fig with Pele's number (which I don't recall off the top of my head), it's clear that these are not predominantly (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) I'll never be able to understand what went through LEGO designers' heads when they chose this colour scheme to depict Portugal and Spain: neither team has this gear, nor even similar ones! (...) 10? (wild guess :-) (...) Predominantly, they (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

I am fairly certain that Lego will not change from yellow faces. For one thing, the yellow face is one of their most famous and endeared trademarks. Everyone identifies with the smiling yello face. Second, if you look at Lego.com where the press (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) This is the best example of yellow skinned people we have to date. Using yellow for just about everyone and an occasional brown or light brown for those that simply can't be depicted as yellow (ie. people of african descent, etc) would be a (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lego and the NBA

(...) I think Lego sells a basketball pen with all yellow heads. I'd rather see them stick to yellow heads, especially in minifig & technic scale. Belville, Duplo, & the others' flesh colors don't matter to me-- I tend to think of the (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jun-02, to lugnet.sports)