 Sports / 202
Re: Lego and the NBA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 16:36:36 GMT

In lugnet.football, Jude Beaudin writes:
In lugnet.announce, Danny Sullivan writes:
From Bloomberg News, I read this blurb in Friday's San Francisco Chronicle,
business section, page 2, column 1:

LEGO TO MAKE BASKETBALL TOYS FOR NBA

New York - Lego A/S, the Danish maker of its namesake plastic toy building
blocks, will make National Basketball Association-related toys under a
multiyear agreement with the NBA.
Terms weren't disclosed. Closely held Lego will introduce a line of Lego
Sports toys that will include NBA-themed items and Lego Soccer products (DS
- huh?), company spokesman Michael McNally said. Product details will be
released later this year, he said.

Not sure what they meant by the Soccer products statement seeing as the line
has existed for years already, but that's what it said.

This brings a whole new meaning to the dis "BRICK!", doesn't it?
Danny

Great, just what we need, another type of minifig leg. I say we call them
"Longies"

Jude

I guess the SF Chronical is a reliable source, especially when they are
quoting a company spokesperson.  Kind of makes one wonder, though, when the
clip contains some obvious factual inaccuracies (soccer).  Unless TLC is
planning to recreate the NBA of the 40's or something, it looks like we will
finally be getting minifigs of color.  Can Mace Windu be far behind?

Aaron Dalan