 MediaWatch / 1716
Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:59:06 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Thomas Main wrote:

”...minorities are often stereotyped.”

The place this is most evident is the releasing of the NBA sets with black figures. I know these represent real people and that is why the decision was made - but it ruined the idea that yellow could represent people of color. Now we have brown heads for NBA players and one themed set, I believe. I loved a recent MOC that used the NBA players as pirates, but this was unofficial. So, yes, as a company, Lego has stereotyped the brown heads as basketball players and nothing else.

Well we do have a brown head in Star Wars sets for Lando and they are used in the new Spider Man sets as well, so they have broken way from just the NBA sets. But I do understand your point.

jt