 MediaWatch / 1715
Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:54:02 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Thomas Main wrote:

   ”...minorities are often stereotyped.”

The place this is most evident is the releasing of the NBA sets with black figures. I know these represent real people and that is why the decision was made - but it ruined the idea that yellow could represent people of color. Now we have brown heads for NBA players and one themed set, I believe. I loved a recent MOC that used the NBA players as pirates, but this was unofficial. So, yes, as a company, Lego has stereotyped the brown heads as basketball players and nothing else.

Keep in mind that caucasian NBA players were also included in flesh tone:
Steve Nash (Canada)
Dirk Nowitzki (Germany)
Pau Gasol (Spain)
Tony Kukoc (Croatia)

... so I don’t believe the stereotype is in the NBA figs (although, they were a bad idea from inception. Less than half of the NBA licensed figs are still wearing the same uniform, and some are on their second new team already - what a mess).

The real problem came with Lando and the SW line in general, IMHO. Lando should have been a yellow fig, to match the rest of the line at that time, and to reinforce the idea that yellow was not synonymous with caucasian.

-nk