 MediaWatch / 1719
Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:15:03 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Rob Antonishen wrote:
   Published in the DoG Street Journal, a student paper at the College of William and Mary:

http://www.dogstreetjournal.com/story/2282

Some highlights are:

“One look at a child’s Lego village will show the company’s disdain for an integrated society.”

”...minorities are often stereotyped.”

“Such racial profiling is appalling...”

“Instead of addressing the contrasting themes, it chooses to ignore them.”

-Rob A>

Wow. yet another poor, deluded schmoo in need of a life. I feel sorry for this fellow. I mean one has to have a pretty lousy outlook on life to be spending it trying to find racism in the commercial world and stil manage to miss so blatantly. Some people read way to much into product lines.. In fact, most “racism” and “sexism” which is found in commercial products is no such thing, rather it is more likely to be an oversight. There are exceptions of course, Victoria’s Secret and a few others with extremely specific hiring policies and limited product lines (Victoria’s Secret has a publicly posted Female only hiring policy and a product line which doesn’t extend beyond something like a size 12), yet few to no attacks are levied at them. One could even mention a truly cheesy prejudice such as UPS has against beards. I myself was turned down by UPS for an IT (non customer facing) position because I have a beard.