 MediaWatch / 1722
Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:28:07 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Brian Davis wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, Rob Antonishen wrote:

   http://www.dogstreetjournal.com/story/2282

It’s always enlightening just how blind people can be. Either that author from my POV, or me from the POV of the author. Wow. Are we *sure* this isn’t satire?

   “One look at a child’s Lego village will show the company’s disdain for an integrated society.”

Yes, he mentions that all the LEGO minifigs are “aryan yellow”. Now *that’s* a new one to me - is that one of the official Crayola colors?

   ”...minorities are often stereotyped.”

Yet he praises the fact that there are now black minifigs in the NBA sets. And doesn’t, evidently, see this as stereotyping.

   “Instead of addressing the contrasting themes, it chooses to ignore them.”

Which the author *seems* to imply is a good thing. Sigh...

I’m still trying to convince my son that boys can be pilots too - his first LEGO plane had a female pilot, and from that point on all the pilots or drivers of his vehicals have always been female. This includes almost any sumobot I build (Ben gets to pick the drivers, I just build the hardware). Yes, curse LEGO for their racist, sexist views that are spoiling the next generation... excuse me, my book fire needs tending.

Brian, go get him an Alpha Team iceblade--Dash (male) is the pilot. Same with the Police helicopter..

-Scott