 MediaWatch / 1705
  Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

Published in the DoG Street Journal, a student paper at the College of William and Mary: (URL) Some highlights are: "One look at a child’s Lego village will show the company’s disdain for an integrated society." "...minorities are often (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX) !

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) It's always enlightening just how blind people can be. Either that author from my POV, or me from the POV of the author. Wow. Are we *sure* this isn't satire? (...) Yes, he mentions that all the LEGO minifigs are "aryan yellow". Now *that's* a (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) The column has some good points. Too bad it suffers from lazy journalism. Like describing traditional minifigs as "aryan yellow". Aryan. Yellow. Yeah, right. And the columnist missed out on some other good discussion points: 1. Lego has (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) This is a humor piece, right? (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) lol-- the ultimate smack critique:-) I weep for the future. JOHN (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) I suggest every single fan send them an email. I just did. What a bunch of kooks. Steven Weiser (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Here is the email I sent to the boneheads. Steven Weiser Subj: Boycott Lego Date: 1/25/2005 11:09:16 AM Eastern Standard Time From: WsrSteven To: letters@dogstreetjournal.com First, there is no plural for Lego. Second, are you people thinking (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Holy s***. Youve got to be kidding. I KNEW this would happen eventually, what with the introduction of the flesh figs. But to think they'd target the themes themselves is really weird. Now, I don't know the half of set designing, but I suspect (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Admire the sentiment Steve, but you might be (if Eric is right and it IS a humour piece) playing right into their hands... they'll collect the best/goofiest mail and publish it for the laughs. Also, (referring to your next post) the use of (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Well, let's maintain some perspective, shall we? This is a campus newspaper, rather than a mainstream AP publication, right? And the article in question is an opinion column, as opposed to a work of research journalism. Honestly, I have a hard (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Actually, I think there are some good issues that are raised in this article. (...) There is some validity to the argument that yellow more closely represents light-skinned people. The author oversteps by calling it "Aryan yellow" to be sure, (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Well, youre gonna have to choose another topic, I can't lie and say I'm from the US, because I'm Indian. I'd rather not comment on matters I have partial/incomplete knowledge of in the first place; that'd be asking for trouble. So I'll be (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Keep in mind that caucasian NBA players were also included in flesh tone: Steve Nash (Canada) Dirk Nowitzki (Germany) Pau Gasol (Spain) Tony Kukoc (Croatia) ... so I don't believe the stereotype is in the NBA figs (although, they were a bad (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Well we do have a brown head in Star Wars sets for Lando and they are used in the new Spider Man sets as well, so they have broken way from just the NBA sets. But I do understand your point. jt (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) To be honest, I was most upset by the title. Boycott? The article didn't even call for a boycott. Nor do I think that the article's voracity warranted one even in the eyes of the author. It seemed like the title was just meant to be attention (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Hm...well, first off, I think this guy Dan gots issues. 1) He didn't do enough research to know how to say "Lego"..ie. "Legos"... 2) "Aryan Yellow"...that's a leap of faith. White folks are no more yellow than black/African-American folks are (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Brian, go get him an Alpha Team iceblade--Dash (male) is the pilot. Same with the Police helicopter.. -Scott (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Samarth, I've got to commend you on your level-headed maturity, especially for your young age, not just here, but in all things you've been posting on. Send me your address privately-- I'll send you a few Han Solo's in carbonite--free of (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) I think the official line is that anytime something is licensed, then the flesh-colored figures can be used. If you look at the Ferrari sets, the crew is yellow, but Barichello and Shumacher are flesh-colored. Spider-Man, Harry Potter, and (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Hey, you're not one of those non-native speakers of English, are you? Jeez, I wish you guys would wear distinctive hats, or something, so that we can tell you from those of us lucky enough to live under the Annointed Rule of the His Mighty (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  (canceled)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Wow. yet another poor, deluded schmoo in need of a life. I feel sorry for this fellow. I mean one has to have a pretty lousy outlook on life to be spending it trying to find racism in the commercial world and stil manage to miss so blatantly. (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

Hello! Political correctness leads to silliness. Bye Jojo (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) English is an official language of India, has been for many, many years. That's 'native', as in 'native speaker' But, I aside from the minor nitpick, I agree 100%! Tim (Smith) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Actually, Hindi is the official language of India, but English is spoken just as much here. Legoswami Samarth (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Wow! Yours is the most reasonable post I can remember reading in .debate. Thank you for staying on topic and not feeding the troll. You hit the ball out of the park! (American baseball expression) -Erik (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) I meant, it would not be out of place in The Onion. Headlines: "Lego Minifigs Aryan Yellow! Spoon Violence Follows Knife Ban!" -Erik (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) No, I'm 100%, born, bred, living Asian Indian (to distinguish from Native American tribes) (...) Wouldn't that be discrimination? ;-) (...) Serious or not, irrelevent or not, the fact is that people will read it and their general impressions (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Except that those headlines are funny. This piece is pathetic. The bottom line is that the quality of writing and thinking displayed in this paper is worthy of a 12 year old, satire or no. William & Mary? Pleh. I weep. JOHN (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Yeah, I guess I can see how a discussion of trivial outrage inspired by a perceived failure of journalism is completely distinct from serious outrage inspired by an actual, systemic failure of journalism. Sorry to blur these two obviously (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"

(...) Wow, Just wow. The author of the paper didn't do much research, that's for sure! Aryan yellow? LOL! I'm not the biggest fan of LEGO since You-Know-What-Issue-...ing-About, but to call LEGO racist is way off target. LEGO does have some issues (...) (19 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.mediawatch)