 MediaWatch / 1714
Re: Lego called Racist - "Boycott Legos [sic]"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:10:18 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Rob Antonishen wrote:
   Published in the DoG Street Journal, a student paper at the College of William and Mary:

http://www.dogstreetjournal.com/story/2282

Actually, I think there are some good issues that are raised in this article.

Some highlights are:

“One look at a child’s Lego village will show the company’s disdain for an integrated society.”

There is some validity to the argument that yellow more closely represents light-skinned people. The author oversteps by calling it “Aryan yellow” to be sure, but this toy *was* made in a racially isolated part of the world. A factos that is important but that was not considered was the limited color pallette of Lego at the time, of course.

”...minorities are often stereotyped.”

The place this is most evident is the releasing of the NBA sets with black figures. I know these represent real people and that is why the decision was made - but it ruined the idea that yellow could represent people of color. Now we have brown heads for NBA players and one themed set, I believe. I loved a recent MOC that used the NBA players as pirates, but this was unofficial. So, yes, as a company, Lego has stereotyped the brown heads as basketball players and nothing else.

“Such racial profiling is appalling...”

I agree that the Ninja and Orient Expedition themes and particularly their “backstories” are racially insensitive.

“In an effort to avoid the conflicts of religious persecution, none of Lego’s sets involve themes of religious nature”

And I think this is a shame. Playmobil makes an Advent calendar that one can build a nativity diorama with - Lego makes one that you can make into a robot :P

Why not make an Advent calendar with religious symbols (actually, I think last year’s actually included an angel, which surprised me)? A menorah set might be a good idea too if the market supported it.

Should Lego, as a company, address these issues? Maybe. It might behoove them to consider these kinds of things so as to appeal to a wider market or to at least appear to be “with it” and aware of culture and change.

Anyway, I didn’t think the article was all bad. Simply accepting things “out of the box” is bad and I’m always glad to see things reasonably questioned.

-- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com