 Marketplace / Shopping / 12683
Re: Anyone seen/baught a PAB Tub?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 03:15:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.shopping, Frank Filz wrote:
Doug Eaton wrote:
For Brand Retail PAB, the rule about the lid snapping into place
depends on who is on duty that day.  The managers are definitly more
picky about what is allowable.  I have seen some cups where the lid
did not touch the cup and it was concidered acceptable.
- snip -

Not sure if it's changed recently, but at our brand retail store in Portland
Oregon, the manager won't let you out of the store if your PAB cup lid
touches the rim of the cup, let alone snaps shut!

Yesterday I bought a green PAB tub from the Portland store, and having seen this
thread, decided to do a pseudo-scientific process of it. So I kept track of how
long it took to pack and then tested to see the volume, count, price per brick,
and so on.

TIME TO PACK: 2.5 hours (with some help from Bob Kojima, who's got lightning
fingers; without his help, add another hour)
WEIGHT OF FINISHED TUB: 9 lbs, 9 oz.
NUMBER OF DIFFERENT ELEMENTS: 29
NUMBER OF PIECES: 3,005
NUMBER OF TINY PIECES: 1,101
PRICE PAID: $69.95 (received 30% discount for helping out during the "Build a
Batman" event that weekend)
PRICE PER PIECE (TOTAL): 2.3 cents
PRICE PER PIECE (Less Tiny Pieces): 3.7 cents
PRICE PER PIECE AT FULL PRICE: 3.3 cents

The tub was packed pretty tight, not a lot of air or rattling when finished. The
low depressions around the outside were filled with plate + tile, evening out
the bottom, and several blocks of brick were constructed and fitted together.
Once there were no more large holes left, the remainder was filled with tiny
pieces, specifically bley headlight bricks and white 1x2 tiles. Finally, a top
piece was built out of 4x8 dark tan plates to really make it a snug fit.

They had one rule: the handles MUST snap shut. There was some bowing in the
middle of the lid, but it did shut. The plate top piece held all the tiny pieces
in. It was loaded like a catapult - if I'd dropped it, that thing would've
exploded like a fat man at an all you can eat buffet.[1] One hint: The handles
are hollow, you can get some brick in there - I didn't think of that until I got
home.

After unpacking, it took up about 25% more volume than the optimized brick when
packed. I counted the pieces and did a quickie cup count by LOOSELY scooping
brick into a PAB cup and seeing how many unoptimized cups it filled. Without any
optimization, it filled 14 & 4/5th heaping cups.

Brickshelf folder after moderation:

Here are the piece counts for what I crammed into the tub:
(32x) 4x3 black slope
(103x) 2x2 light orange brick
(8x) 2x2 blue brick
(101x) 4x8 dark tan plate
(177x) 1x2 yellow brick
(56x) 1x4 dark green brick with studs on one side
(109x) 1x2 red brick with bar
(264x) 1x2 dark green brick with horizontal/vertical grooves
(1x) 2x8 dark bley plate
(88x) 1x6 dark bley brick
(3x) 2x4 white plate
(2x) 2x4 blue plate
(1x) 2x6 white plate
(6x) 2x8 red plate
(2x) 4x10 dark red brick
(1x) sand blue plate
(44x) 1x1 white brick
(34x) 2x6 green brick
(4x) 2x2 tan 1/3 curved brick with 2 studs
(96x) 1x4 green brick
(74x) 1x4 yellow brick
(92x) 1x4 orange brick
(70x) 2x2 red tile
(39x) 2x2 yellow tile
(142x) 2x4 white brick
(67x) 2x4 red brick
(188x) 2x8 dark red slope
(519x) 1x1 bley headlight brick
(582) 1x2 white tile

I enjoy packing PAB boxes... I'm in it for the hunt more than the actual feast
on the prize. I also like sorting, which explains how I counted it then messed
it all up again, only to have to sort once more.

Even though the PAB wall wasn't the best I've seen (sorry, Tom) it was a fun
experience. Apparently I was the third one they'd sold the tub to. If the wall
has what you want, and you have the time + patience to optimize, I'd say it's a
very good deal.

- Kelly

[1] I can say that because I go to buffets all the time, and I'm not exactly
skinny these days.