 Marketplace / Shopping / 12697
Re: Anyone seen/bought a PAB Tub?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:55:55 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jordan Bradford wrote:
Both of you spent almost three hours filling your green tubs. Then, to be able
to actually use the pieces you carefully packed, you had to disassemble them all
once you got them home.

Being cost effective means considering not just the money, but the time and
effort. I really don't think your three hours was worth it.

For me, part of the "fun" of LEGO is the socialization aspect. I know all the
LEGO Store employees by name, and they know me... we like to BS and throw
insults back and forth. The environment is fun. I get to say "thanks" when
people walk up to my display in the community window and ooh-n-ahh. There's the
ambiance of just being around so much brick. And so on.

So for me, packing a cup or tub is a social occasion. Last time, I got to stand
with my friend Bob Kojima for a while and chat while he helped me. It was also
fun flinging barbs (and receiving them) with the store manager as he bustled
around. I realize packing or unpacking probably isn't the most enjoyable aspect
of the hobby for some (most?) people, but I get a cathartic sense of well-being
while clicking bricks into a cup. And later, when unpacking, I usually stand at
my table while the TV blares reruns of Mythbusters or something. Sometimes my
kids help, making it a family experience.

Last but not least is the feeling that I've earned sweat equity on my brick. By
expending some elbow grease doing something I like to do anyway, I got a deal
(and the tub, well-packed, is quite a deal). For me, it's win-win. Same for the
store... I'm easy money for them. And my enthusiasm and dropping hints to other
customers has more than once caused them to fill their own cups, or buy an
Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide, or so on. So what the store may "lose" on my
cups runneth over, they often regain in different ways. The manager and I agree
it's a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Although I don't feel my time is wasted, even figuring the time spent (3 hours)
multiplied by my hourly pay, it's still only about half what I'd pay through
online PAB. Since I live less than a mile from the store, transportation costs
are negligable.

In short - I feel it's well worth my leisure time to stand for three hours
packing a tub. Or for an hour packing a cup. I realize this activity isn't for
everyone, but I enjoy it a lot.

- Kelly