 Marketplace / Shopping / 12696
Re: Anyone seen/bought a PAB Tub?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:35:41 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jordan Bradford wrote:

Being cost effective means considering not just the money, but the time and
effort. I really don't think your three hours was worth it.

It's all part of the hobby.  I would agree with the watching TV example. "Free
time" shouldn't figure into a cost equasion.  If you are looking a brick dealer,
and that's your livelyhood...maybe.

I've been to two BrickFests and never tried the PAB wall while there. I have
purchased exactly one large cup from the PAB wall in the Mall of America. That
time I remember thinking to myself, "Boy, I'll bet I could fit a lot more parts
in here if I pack it carefully," but I also realized it would take way too much
time.

For some folks, myself included, the discovery and "hunt" for what might appear
on the PAB wall is part of the fun, along with packing the cups, especially when
you live close to LEGO stores.  Clearly not everyone feels this way.

I have a question: is getting parts from a PAB wall more cost effective than
buying them from PAB online?

No. I can't think of very many pieces at PAB online that would be cheaper to
purchase online than in a well packed tub or cup.  Maybe some of the larger
pieces: BURPs, baseplates, etc.

Depending on the piece, some are cheaper at bricklink than PAB online, and visa
versa, but in my experience, a well packed store PAB cup or tub of uncommon
parts (i.e. stuff that isn't cheap on Bricklink or in stock LEGO tubs) is still
the best deal outside of resale shops.