 Local / Australia / 4132
Re: Latest update from LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:22:46 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Paul Baulch writes:
<snipped>
I think they listen to their customers too much instead of watching what
they buy. I've heard many people complain about the price of the bigger
sets, but frankly, I see them move.

Just before Christmas a Hobart store had King Leo's Castle marked at $279
(RRP around $208) and it apparently sold for that price (this particular
store will not price match). Over recent months this store has had a few
other large sets all with similar markups over RRP and they've also sold.
Smaller sets are generally only $5-$10 over RRP and they don't sell,
probably because they're (generally) relatively easy to get elsewhere, the
large sets aren't.

Apart from 6600 Highway Construction (it's either reasonably plentiful or it
just doesn't sell in the first place), large sets more or less fall into two
categories around Hobart:
1) "If you're lucky one or two stores will stock at most two copies every 6
months and they'll sell within 2 weeks at the most (of late, within a day or
two)" or
2) "You must be kidding, you'll never ever see this set on a shelf in the
first place".

Examples in category 1: King Leo's Castle, Millennium Falcon, Dino Research
Compund, Duplo Deluxe Train.

Examples in category 2: Silver Champion, Power Puller

I'm willing to pay RRP for large sets, but they've got to be there for me to
buy them in the first place, but I would go without rather than pay a $70
markup (or the hassle of getting someone to privately source and post one
from the mainland).  (I've been lucky and got all my wants from Category 1
at RRP or less, but I'm constantly checking shelves and usually buy sets the
day they're unpacked).

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com