 Local / Australia / 4091
Re: Latest update from LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:16:03 GMT

I know what you mean, Stores say a set is out of there price range and that
their customers won't buy the bigger sets..
This offends me, why do i have to suffer because they think they know what i
want... What can it hurt to have maybe 2 of the bigger sets and just replace
when needed...
The LEGO shelves at the shops i visit in my hometown (Rockhampton QLD) are
getting emptier and emptier...and this bothers me..

--
Jason King
LugNet #665

Deidre Rushton Brumby <drb@tasmail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.au, Ross Crawford writes:

Yeah. Having lived in Tassie till about a year ago I know what you mean • (though
I was still in my "dark age" back then). BTW if you actually want silver
champions or power pullers, dont hesitate to ask. TRU in Melb seem to • have a
lot of SCs left (at $349 I'm not surprised), and a few power-pullers, • though
I've seen them cheaper ($212) at Franks Toys.

It's not just Tassie though, it's anywhere in Australia that's considered • to be
"regional", and from what I've heard over the last year or so we often get • Lego
before SA and WA.  Actually, about a year ago there didn't seem to be any • Lego
availability problems here, sure there was only one or two places you • could
get the largest sets but you _could_ get them.  Now everything is late • late
late, if it arrives at all, and if it does arrive it's often only one or • two
copies of a set and then isn't restocked at all.

Some themes don't have this problem, we've got plenty of Race and Mickey • for
example, and more stock of these comes in all the time despite the fact • that
not much of it sells.  The Dino sets mostly didn't arrive until November • and
then there were only 2 copies of the Research Compound in one store for • the
whole state, Frances and I snaffled those to the disadvantage of everyone • else.
The quantities of the rest of the Dino range were still limited, anyone • wanting
ANY Dino set for Christmas would have to have been on the ball in • November.
Similar story for Duplo Trains.  Much of the rest of the Duplo range as • well
as the large Technic sets are still unavailable, they haven't arrived at • all.

I spent much of December returning to stores over and over again in the • vain
hope that they might get new stock in (there were plenty of sales but
nothing to buy), and I spoke to lots of people looking for specific sets • for
Christmas presents and observed many more, most of them went away
disappointed, it seemed that they would rather buy something other than • Lego
than settle for 5th or 6th best.  This is where Lego is losing sales by • the
truck load and where SAH would be a godsend.

Thankyou Ross and Kevin for offering help with the Technic, at the moment • I've
decided that if Lego can't make sets easily available for me to buy
(whether that be in my local stores or by mail order) then I'm not going • to
go to any lengths to get them, tough for Lego, they've lost more sales.

Deidre