 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1274
  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Oh. My. I just can't help but feel that everything is about to change WAY to quickly for any of us to keep up. OK, I have to much to write, and to little time to write it (or type-who cares). Don't you guys realize what this means for all of (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) I don't think you can expect any such effect. Keep in mind that there's more to a LEGO set than the parts included and the main model. There's also the box and instruction artwork, specialized minifigs, cartoons, the theme itself, as well as (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Basically, this is all about the economic side of things. Who cares? This is a free market. People will buy what they want. As much as I have used and appreciate what AucZILLA, Brickbay, etc. have done for making available specific pieces and (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) <snip> (...) <snip> I'm thinking I could probably blame that on Tom. ;^D ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

My concern is this: If I design a set and post it, and it's extremely popular, what do I gain from it? Will LEGO give me a royalty on it? Will they instead reward me with bricks? Publicity? A job? If I submit my own design and stand to lose my (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> <snip> (...) me (...) <snip> I would hope that Lego would use the same idea that they are using with the Brickilizer, that is, we post the design ( or image in the case of the (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Rights? I don't disagree with your fundamental assertions here, Mark -- but what exactly do you think happens when you post several detailed images of your stuff to the internet? Sure, maybe some people write to you and want either the (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) If you did this to one of my GoB sets, and I find out about it, I _will_ take you to small claims court. _I_ own the design, period. If you come up with something similar, fine. But, if you take from my design, and it is not enough different (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) And that is one thing that I want make sure is happening. I want TLC to be able to make money. If they aren't making money, it will mean that they will go under, to be bought out by someone else. I think that as much as TLC policies sometimes (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Really. So if I look at the Guild of Bricksmith page, and copy one of your designs, and place it in my living room, you're going to take me to court? Good luck not getting laughed at by the judge. You do realise that you have to prove some (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) That is to be expected, and that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I'm not offended by people copying my designs for their own private enjoyment. Suppose LEGO claims rights to any sets you create using their service. Suppose they go on to (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

I buy lego sets for the designs, and for the experience of building someone else's design. I really feel that building a set is a form of performance art, and the lego instruction developers are true artists, and it is fun to see things come (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Well, I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think you've got much of an argument here. As long as I credit the creator, and am not republishing or selling their work, then you're out of luck trying to sue me. If I build a model based on pictures of (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) That's like saying, as long as I credit the band who wrote the song, and don't sell the CD, I am not breaking copywrite when I copy a CD. It ain't so, and I think it is fairly plain to see that that is not so. As for the comment above, (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) (oops, missed a bit here, someone _else's_ CD that you are copying, not your own copy...here, at least, it is perfectly legal to make multi copies of a CD you own, but not any copies of one a friend of yours owns...) James Powell (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm probably not being clear enough. To mirror your analogy, I'm saying that as long as I credit the band who wrote the song, and don't try to sell or republish the song, I can sing the song myself, as (...) (23 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) At some level, you are correct, but there are definitely areas where you can run afoul of he law: - patents. There isn't any "fair use" type of clause for them - if you take a picture of your copy of someone else's MOC, and publish it, you may (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) This is incredible. I have created a self-sustaining argument over Lego rights. This is actually, in a strange, twisted way, funny. I never thought that debates like this would carry over into Lugnet. And never intended to start a debate in (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) This message is for any messages SUPPORTING Lego designs being traded freely, without any costs. Reply with your arguments here. (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) This reply/thread is for the posting of messages from people who believe that everyone's creations are theirs only, and must be paid for. Please post your replies HERE. (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Why not take this over to .debate?? -Tim (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) What he said. :-/ Thanks, Franklin (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Ok, I'm not sure how it's bad yet... (...) That's because you might be able to get one cheaper, I assume? Is that bad? I'd call it good... (...) That's actually pretty good, too, since now I can buy the instructions (or get 'em off brickshelf) (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

I've been reading this thread with interest. The PC industry was created when Compaq reverse engineered the BIOS chip on the IBM PC back in the early 80's. All other components of the computer were bought from other sources. The only chip IBM (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Well said, Lars! That's it exactly! I think this is the stance most in the GoB take. If you'll recall, there have been people in the past who copied my first publicly sold model. That's fine by me, and I said so at the time, as they were doing (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes: <snip> Hopefully this will blow over as I think we're mostly all saying about the same thing now. I missed the call to move to .debate just now but here is a response I put in to Lars Brandt (whose (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Intresting comments. I heard rumours that one clones manafacturers 'reverse enginered' a brick by scanning into a computer with a laser type scanner. Of course TLG/TLC got em fair and square in the courts.. Perhaps TLC/TLG might want to have (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) You mistake the idea of appreciation with patronage -- and those are NOT the same thing at all. Did Michaelangelo serve as patron to Leonardo? An overblown example, but you get the point... -- Richard (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) Because, as a LEGO issue, it's not "off-topic"? eric (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) You know, I was curious about this. So I emailed my friend Neil-- (as an aside here, Dave knows Neil, but to bring the rest of you up to date: I went to college with Neil, and we still play RPGs and wargames together on a regular basis. Neil (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) For 99.99% of it, I do think we are on the same page. For that little .01%, I believe occasionally one might be forced to take a stand in the same way that the music industry does. James Powell, Bricksmith. (23 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) That's the real legal question. One where there may be lots of precedent (in some countries) but may still be taken on a case-by-case basis. The pieces are patented (I'm not clear on LEGO's current patent status, I seem to recall its scope (...) (23 years ago, 10-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct)