 Off-Topic / Debate / 7963
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 23:50:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:

As long as I credit the creator, and am not republishing or selling their
work, then you're out of luck trying to sue me.  If I build a model based on
pictures of your model (which, unless I buy the instructions, or otherwise
obtain them, is all I have to go on), then that is a derivative work, by
definition.  So long as a credit my inspirition, well, tough noogies,
there's not much you can do about it.

That's like saying, as long as I credit the band who wrote the song, and don't
sell the CD, I am not breaking copywrite when I copy a CD.

Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all.  I'm probably not being clear
enough.  To mirror your analogy, I'm saying that as long as I credit the
band who wrote the song, and don't try to sell or republish the song, I can
sing the song myself, as much as I want.

A distinct difference.

It ain't so, and I think it is fairly plain to see that that is not so.

I agree that what you're talking about ain't so.  But I strongly think
you're  mis-interpreting your grounds.

If I see a jacket in a store window, go home and make a jacket just like it,
how have I violated copyright?

If I see a garden from the street, go home and grow a garden just like it,
how have I violated copyright?

If I see a toy on the internet, go home and build a toy just like it, how
have I violated copyright?

Do you see what I am driving at here?  Your design is yours, I'll not
contest that, and if you tell me I can't build one unless I buy the
instructions, that's your call.

But as soon as you put any aspect(s) of your design on public display, I can
do my best to duplicate it, and you have no recourse.

As for the comment above, perhaps I should have said, as I did in a later
post, that after all other recourses have been used, I would consider further
action... (that is probably a better wording...)

Understood.  You don't strike me as a sue-happy kind of guy. :)

James
(thanks for the redirected newsgroup - I missed that the first time around)