 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1388
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:15:07 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, David Eaton writes:

1. the plan may fail. Maybe there just aren't enough AFOLs and original Lego
hobbyists to support the costs of providing custom models online. Might
happen. And that's really potentially major.

You know, I was curious about this.  So I emailed my friend Neil--

(as an aside here, Dave knows Neil, but to bring the rest of you up to date:  I
went to college with Neil, and we still play RPGs and wargames together on a
regular basis.  Neil has been to the NELUG BrikWars events, but his interest in
LEGO begins and ends with building things for BrikWars)

--and asked him, theoretically, if he was able to go online and design "sets",
and buy the pieces directly from LEGO, if he would be likely to spend more on
LEGO.

His first answer, after thinking it over, was that he would end up buying more
from LEGO, but not much more.  But, as he thought about it, he conceded that he
might end up buying even more than that if he increased in proficiency with the
design software.

Point is, this move has the potential to increase sales across the board, not
*just* to current hardcore AFOLs.  There are probably lots of people out there
who would love to create their own models, but whose desire simply isn't strong
enough to go out and buy set after set to chase down the pieces they would
need.

eric