 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1379
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 11:06:25 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Lars Brandt writes:
I've been reading this thread with interest.

The PC industry was created when Compaq reverse engineered the BIOS chip on
the IBM PC back in the early 80's.  All other components of the computer
were bought from other sources.  The only chip IBM created was the BIOS
chip.  Compaq couldn't buy this from IBM, so they went about figuring out
how that chip worked and made their own version that performed the exact
same function.

If I can reverse engineer someone else's creation for my own enjoyment, I
have every right to.  There is no damage to anyone.

Now if I sell that design, that's a different story...

Intresting comments.

I heard rumours that one clones manafacturers 'reverse enginered' a brick by
scanning into a computer with a laser type scanner. Of course TLG/TLC got em
fair and square in the courts..

Perhaps TLC/TLG might want to have some say in how you distribute sets you
create if your 'producing' commerically?

IANAL but Something along the lines of a disclaimer such as '

This set/kit uses Lego(R) elements.

Some or all of the elements supplied may be registered designs of The Lego
Group which does not suppourt or endorse this unoffical set/kit in any way.

You should contact the sets designer for information regarding suppourt and
other issues.
The Sets Designer is <Name>     who may be reached at <name@hostname> '

might be a Very GOOD Idea.

And of course in regards to instruction production, they can't look too like
TLC/TLG's offical ones.  ISTR a packge called Bricad being supressed for
that reason?..

That said however I would love to see fan-designed sets in the range on
offer from TLG/TLC... Perhaps this is something LSAH could look into? After
all they have the resources of a large organizartion (hence lower prices)
that small individual AFOLS simply do not have access to.

My thoughts were that the majority of AFOLS shop online(?) and that selling
the 'fan-created' sets via the web  might be the best idea. Additonaly a
pre-ordering system could be used so that TLG/TLC would know how many bricks
to mould or instruction booklets to print!!. Thankfully Lego instruction
boooklets are language free(!) and so do not need specific international
versions(?)

Comments welcomed.

Alex