 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1274
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 04:19:30 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
There's a new TLC press release at:

  http://www.lego.com/info/press.asp

here's the good stuff:

  http://www.lego.com/press/

-Suz
  Oh.  My.  I just can't help but feel that everything is about to change
WAY to quickly for any of us to keep up.  OK, I have to much to write, and
to little time to write it (or type-who cares).  Don't you guys realize what
this means for all of us?  OK, sure this means everyone can own a
Spiffcraft, or the Neverwhere.  But what about the BAD effects?  I hate to
say this, but do you know how many people are going to be selling cheap
copies of any old set without a specialty printed part?  MILLIONS!  I was
about to buy a $20 Solar Power Transporter on eBay, but now that I read the
press release, I might not.  All of a sudden the distinguishing factor in a
Lego auction is the instructions, which can be ordered from Lego at $2 each
(in color for recent ones).  So much for Lego eBay.  And there goes
Sanburnsystems, and Brickbay, and any other loose part selling site.  Also,
what will happen to LUGNET?  I mean, if some parent comes onto Lugnet from
Lego, and sees the Spamcake messages, they might be scared (or at least
worried about the sanity of the people who wrote the messages) because they
don't understand.  Lugnet is a (relatively) small community.  How will it be
affected by being exposed to the rest of the Internet?  I wish Henry or Todd
would have told everyone about this sooner.
  And what about Lego themselves?  Does this mean that new themes
development will cease in 2002 (or whenever) the new part availability
service becomes available?  Will a few dozen theme designers be out of a
job?  I have had high hopes for quite a while about working for Lego
designing new sets.  Now it seems I need to look for different career
posibilities.  Overall Lego will be making millions, because now I can
custom build anything I want, for a nice fee of course.  Anyways, what will
happen to everyone having unique models?  If Mark Sandlin builds a cool
little shuttle, and I like it, all I need do is order it from Lego, and
suddenly Mark's Lego design is mine.  Will anything ever be the same?  All
of a sudden those dreams about alternative Ice Planet models on store
shelves will come true...  Only time will tell what will happen to Lego...

  P.S.  Does this mean all of these Lego sites will be able to remove those
"not affiliated with the Lego Group" signs?