 General / 50834
Re: About the term "AFOL"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 19:10:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh wrote:
I posted a few weeks ago regarding my feelings of the term "AFOL":

http://news.lugnet.com/legoland/california/?n=761

Re-reading my post, I don't think I worded it as strongly as I should have.
I really dislike the term "AFOL" and find it mildly offensive to be called
one.  I would never refer to myself as an AFOL and I don't use the word in
conversation.  Could be just me, but I don't care for the term.

What aspect of the term do you feel is inaccurate? From your post, it would seem
that you object to the word "fan", because it implies a stronger dedication than
the word "hobbyist"? Of course, the resulting acronym with "Hobbyist" is ..
uh... a touch more vulger :) Would "enthusiast" work?

I know other people have objected to the word "Lego" since they don't feel that
they're fans of the *company* per se, but feel more like fans of the bricks
themselves-- in some cases even being fans of *other* brands in addition to
Lego. Perhaps "ABBE" (Adult Building Brick Enthusiast)?

Personally, I've always been happy calling myself an AFOL, but I'd probably be
happy to call myself any of the acronyms that have been tossed around (though I
personally would want to include the "Lego", since I'm partly dedicated to the
brand thanks to nostalgia in a way that I'll never be attached to other brands).

DaveE

(FUT .general to strip out .faq)