 General / 50833
Re: About the term "AFOL"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 18:44:47 GMT

"Jason Spears" <spielboyAT@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:IH3xAr.st8@lugnet.com...

[ ... snipped ... ]

I'm in agreement with you on this, I'm not so much a fan, as an • enthusiast. And
I  describe myself to others as such.

[ ... snipped ... ]

I posted a few weeks ago regarding my feelings of the term "AFOL":

http://news.lugnet.com/legoland/california/?n=761

Re-reading my post, I don't think I worded it as strongly as I should have.
I really dislike the term "AFOL" and find it mildly offensive to be called
one.  I would never refer to myself as an AFOL and I don't use the word in
conversation.  Could be just me, but I don't care for the term.

Mike

--
Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

  Re: About the term "AFOL"

(...) What aspect of the term do you feel is inaccurate? From your post, it would seem that you object to the word "fan", because it implies a stronger dedication than the word "hobbyist"? Of course, the resulting acronym with "Hobbyist" is .. uh... (...) (19 years ago, 26-May-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.faq)
  Re: About the term "AFOL"

(...) Suz's drive-by butt-in.. I don't use AFOL in ref to myself because I don't like it either. Not that it's -horrible-, but I don't feel as though it covers me. "Fan" implies "fanatic", which I'm not. (Though I certainly was ten years ago..) Plus (...) (19 years ago, 26-May-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.faq)