 General / 50838
Re: About the term "AFOL"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 20:50:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh wrote:
[...]
I really dislike the term "AFOL" and find it mildly offensive to be called
one.  I would never refer to myself as an AFOL and I don't use the word in
conversation.  Could be just me, but I don't care for the term.

Suz's drive-by butt-in..
I don't use AFOL in ref to myself because I don't like it either. Not that it's
-horrible-, but I don't feel as though it covers me. "Fan" implies "fanatic",
which I'm not. (Though I certainly was ten years ago..)

Plus it's difficult to speak.  :-) I say, "an A-F-O-L".  ...heh, it's like some
of the old Usenet terms that were never really meant to be used offline.

When talking to strangers, I describe people of the greater community as "adult
LEGO users" or simply "LEGO enthusiasts". And I describe myself as: "a
blahbidy-blah using LEGO as a medium." Blah being based on my audience.
"curriculum developer", "educational toy designer", "modeler", "student",
"ed-tech researcher", or whatever.

that's my two cents of data! :-p  :-) hee-hee.

btw, I'd never look down on anyone for using the term. or for considering
themself accurately depicted by it.

-Suz