 General / 50840
Re: About the term "AFOL"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 21:49:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:
In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh wrote:
[...]
I really dislike the term "AFOL" and find it mildly offensive to be called
one.  I would never refer to myself as an AFOL and I don't use the word in
conversation.  Could be just me, but I don't care for the term.

I don't use AFOL in ref to myself because I don't like it either. Not that it's
-horrible-, but I don't feel as though it covers me. "Fan" implies "fanatic",
which I'm not.

This is probably my biggest issue with it as well.  When I hear the word 'fan' I
have a hard time disassociating it from 'fanatic'.

Also, I work in an environment where I'm besieged with acronyms daily...
sometimes two or three per sentence.  I try to live my home life as acronym free
as possible.  :)

So when asked, I simply tell people I'm a "LEGO builder".  It's short and sweet
and seems to get the message across with little explanation required.  If I'm
speaking about people here on LUGNET or people who post to Brickshelf I might
refer to them as other "adult LEGO builders" (1) without ever trying to turn it
into an acronym.

Just my two cents.

Allan

(1) Though I realize the sometimes inaccuracy of the first word in that phrase.
My apologies to younger builders... no disrespect intended.