 General / 50832
Re: About the term "AFOL"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 17:16:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joe Strout wrote:
   Much better would be Adult Lego Enthusiast (ALE), which not only makes a nice clear acronym, but also is a better description -- we’re not just fans of the LEGO company, we’re enthusiasts of the LEGO hobby. Someone who’s into trains isn’t a train fan, they’re a train enthusiast (or hobbyist).

I’m in agreement with you on this, I’m not so much a fan, as an enthusiast. And I describe myself to others as such.

   But I don’t suppose there’s a snowball’s chance of the term ALE catching on now, is there? Or some other more carefully-considered acronym?

Sure, if enough of the community recognized that one particular acronym was better. Shifting gears isn’t easy but can be done. I say BrickLink without even thinking now, but at first, I’d say BrickBay and then have to correct myself.

Jason Spears | BrickShelf Gallery | MichLUG | CLB