 General / 50837
Re: About the term "AFOL"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 20:46:18 GMT

"David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> wrote in message
news:IH42Lw.1wsw@lugnet.com...

[ ... snipped ... ]

What aspect of the term do you feel is inaccurate? From your post, it • would seem
that you object to the word "fan", because it implies a stronger • dedication than
the word "hobbyist"? Of course, the resulting acronym with "Hobbyist" is • ..
uh... a touch more vulger :) Would "enthusiast" work?

[... snipped ... ]

Yes, I believe you are correct, it is the term "fan" I have an issue with.
When I hear to see the term AFOL, I think "Adult Fan of the LEGO Company".
While there are a lot of things I like and respect about LEGO the Company,
there are a number of things I don't care for either.  So I wouldn't call
myself a "Fan" of LEGO the company any more than I would call myself AFOAB
(Adult Fan of Anheuser-Busch).  While I purchase and enjoy their products, I
don't consider myself a "Fan" of either company per se, certainly not enough
to label myself.

As I mentioned in my other post, I consider myself a LEGO Hobbyist.

Mike

--
Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

  Re: About the term "AFOL"

(...) What aspect of the term do you feel is inaccurate? From your post, it would seem that you object to the word "fan", because it implies a stronger dedication than the word "hobbyist"? Of course, the resulting acronym with "Hobbyist" is .. uh... (...) (19 years ago, 26-May-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.faq)