 General / 50848
Re: About the term "AFOL"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 15:10:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christian Treczoks wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
Adrian got it right-- Jeff Thompson appears to be the first one who used the
term "Adult Fan Of Lego" on RTL (June 13, 1995), and Matthew Verdier first
brought light to the acronym in reference to Jeff's post (June 14, 1995),
which quickly caught on.

May I blatantly copy your words to create a Wikipedia article for the term
"AFOL"?

Go right ahead!

I tried checking briefly to see instances of how often 'AFOL' was used to mean
'Adult Friend Of Lego' (because I've seen it said that it can mean either),
however I could only find about 5 occurances of it being used that way on RTL or
Lugnet. Looks like the misconception of it meaning "Friend" probably comes from
the now-less-often-used "LF" or "NLF" ("Lego Friend" or "Non-Lego Friend").

DaveE