 General / 32683
Re: Emergency! Everyone, please read this.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 04:57:07 GMT

I probably shouldn't say this but I will.

I think the idea of donating money to buy back the domain name,
while certainly very thoughtful, would be foolish to execute.
If this were LUGNET itself, to which I have paid a membership
fee and am more than happy to make donations to, the case would
be different.  But in this case it is a personal site that was
"owned" by Todd, for his own personal use.  If it expired, for
whatever reason, then so be it.  That's his business.  I've no
real inclination to help fund buying it back for whatever reason.

I am very glad you said this, and appreciate that you did so in a reasonable
and thought-out manner.  My original idea was just that... an idea.  One
that sought a resolution to the problem, and was in no way a perfect
solution... and in many ways quite flawed.  Feedback on such an idea is
important, with both good and bad points brought to light.

On top of that I feel that paying $550.00 to buy back a personal
domain name is not smart.  It's just a name.  There are plenty
of others available for gobs less.  While someone may develop
an affection for a particular domain name, in this case I feel
it's just best to let it go, and go start a new one.

I agree here absolutely.  I would not, for a second, shell out $550 dollars
to obtain a personal website domain name.  But, at approximately .50 a pop,
it didn't seem like such a bad price to avoid any further headaches and
confusion.

I would also like to clarify this: I do not have any kids to worry about
wandering into an adult oriented site, nor do I have any sites with a
fibblesnork link, nor did I have any affection for the fibblesnork domain
name as it was a personal site belonging to Todd Lehman.  My suggestion was
strictly one of concern for the LEGO community as a whole, with the cheapest
possible resolution to the matter.

Humbly,
Ken Wright