 General / 32677
Re: Emergency! Everyone, please read this.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:44:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kenneth Wright writes:

At this point, I look at a "community purchase" of the site as a form of
damage control.  We have a chance to grab up what was a very useful site to
LEGO enthusiasts, and make it so once again.  It may encourage and reinforce
this type of internet opportunist behavior at the moment, but if we take
this as a lesson learned to be more aggressive in protecting our domain
names, we can keep it from happening again.

I probably shouldn't say this but I will.

I think the idea of donating money to buy back the domain name,
while certainly very thoughtful, would be foolish to execute.
If this were LUGNET itself, to which I have paid a membership
fee and am more than happy to make donations to, the case would
be different.  But in this case it is a personal site that was
"owned" by Todd, for his own personal use.  If it expired, for
whatever reason, then so be it.  That's his business.  I've no
real inclination to help fund buying it back for whatever reason.

On top of that I feel that paying $550.00 to buy back a personal
domain name is not smart.  It's just a name.  There are plenty
of others available for gobs less.  While someone may develop
an affection for a particular domain name, in this case I feel
it's just best to let it go, and go start a new one.

If we had to buy back the LUGNET domain for that, only then would
I consider it.  But even then, I would question how wise it
is to spend that much money on a name, when a new domain could
be started and that money could be put to better use.  Links
can be updated.  I'm sure people wouldn't have too much
trouble finding the new home.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada